Elementary Afterschool Programs
Children (K-4th grade) are met daily by loving staff and volunteers where they rotate in small groups between math, reading, and homework. Volunteers facilitate the rotation, help with homework, and provide instruction. PTM has seven elementary afterschool sites:
- Faith United (North Nashville) from 3:15-5:15 Monday-Thursday. This site is located at Faith United Missionary Baptist Church on the corner of Whites Creek Pike and Revels Drive. Most of the students enrolled in this program live in the Haynes Garden Apartments and attend Old Center Elementary. This site serves 20 children.
- Park Avenue (West Nashville) from 3:00-5:00 Monday-Thursday. This site is located in the educational wing of Park Avenue Baptist Church on the corner of Park Avenue and 44th Avenue. All of the students enrolled in this program attend Sylvan Park Elementary. This site serves 20 children.
- St. Luke (West Nashville) from 4:00-6:00 Monday-Thursday. This site meets in the basement of St. Luke AME on the corner of Michigan Avenue and 40th Avenue North and serves 20 students.
- Mt. Nebo (West Nashville) from 4:00-6:00 Monday-Thursday. This site meets in Mt. Nebo Missionary Baptist Church on the corner of Clifton Avenue and 25th Avenue North and serves 20 students.
- Dream Center (West Nashville) from 4:00-6:00 Monday-Thursday. This site meets at Crosspoint Church’s Dream Center campus on Delaware Avenue and serves 20 students.
- PTM’s Wilson Center (West Nashville) from 4:00-6:00 Monday-Friday serving K-4th grade. The Hal and Martha Wilson Center is located at 4014 Indiana Avenue. Students attending this site live in and around the Historic Preston Taylor Homes and attend Park Avenue Elementary, Cockrill Elementary, and McKissack Middle School. This site serves 60 children.
Junior High Afterschool Programs
Youth (5th-8th grade) meet at PTM’s Wilson Center on Mondays and Thursdays during the school year from 6:30-8:00pm for homework, supper, and enrichment activities. There are 25 students enrolled in this program. Students primarily attend Lead Academy, Nashville Prep, and McKissack Middle School.
SaLT, or Servant and Leadership Training, serves a small group of high school students who meet on Mondays from 4:30-7:30, Wednesdays from 4:14-5:15, and Thursdays from 4:30-7:30. The program includes tutoring (general tutoring, ACT prep, college prep, etc.); one-on-one “sandwich” mentoring (each student has a mentor and is a mentor to a PTM student) and servant leadership development (job training, career exploration, service learning, manners, and other life skills needed for independence). Contact Collin at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering or if you have questions.
St. Luke’s Community House
St. Luke’s Community House (SLCH) is PTM’s newest site located at The Roger’s Center Gym at 1605 56th Ave North. This site has 75 students (K-12th) all meeting under the same roof. Programming times are held from 2:30pm – 5:30pm with Elementary (3:30-5:30), Junior High School (4-5:30), and High School (2:30 – 4:30) respectively. PTM’s afterschool site at SLCH joins the chorus of nonprofits operating out of St. Luke’s Community House’s facilities, while remaining true to the mission of PTM.
Contact Collin at email@example.com if you are interested in tutoring or if you have questions.